Much like a pro wrestler born with the name Dwayne Johnson
can't be taken seriously tough without changing to something like
The Rock, This Unique Museum's name serves to avoid
the pretentious stereotype most singer-songwriters develop lately.
This Unique Museum is the ring name of Ben Fitton of England.
His latest release, A Collection Of Short Stories, is a
delicately beautiful album that combines traditional down-tempo,
acoustic songwriting with electronic beats reminiscent of other
singer-songwriters such as Joseph Arthur, Chris Lee,
Matt Costa, and Pete Yorn. While a name may be important
for audience recognition, a soulfully expressive collection of
love songs will take an artist a long way.
A Collection Of Short Stories is just that - a collection
of related songs. Together, they tell the very long story of love,
loss, and heartache that we all face. "It's so hard to fall
in love," laments Fitton on "Isabella (A Place You Could
Call Home)." The same theme can be heard on "This Quiet
Life (A Northern Light)," and the eerily Elliott Smith-sounding
"A Penny For My Thoughts (A Ghost In The Playground)."
"I Can't Find Myself In You (The Autumn Of
up this feeling when Fitton sings, "I wish I knew what made
you leave / what made you see / That I was not the one for you
/ You always knew."
Fans of The Pernice Brothers, Graig Markel, Andrew
Morgan, and Jeremy Enigk will really appreciate this
album. This Unique Museum's A Collection Of Short Stories is
delicate, relaxing, and ambient. It's a nice breath of fresh air,
and it goes down smooth like a good after dinner drink.
1. Little One (In The Snow)
2. Iris (The Best Part Of The Year)
3. Isabella (A Place You Could Call Home)
4. A Winter To Forget (Something To Someone)
5. This Quiet Life (A Northern Light)
6. A Penny For My Thoughts (A Ghost In The Playground)
7. I Can't Find Myself In You (The Autumn Of
8. An Idea Of My Best Self (You're Beautiful)
9. That Bruise Won't Disappear (Don't Get Me Wrong)
10. Cut A Long Story Short (Don't Attempt To Call)
11. My Intentions Are Irrelevant (You've Got An Enemy)
12. A Reason For Breathing (The Good Things)
e-mail the chief
Like this article?
it to a friend!