Following his 1997 debut album Latitude, Ewan Pearson, aka Maas, has been keeping more than busy with remix work, and Soma records has put together Small Change, a collection of these remixes. Being unfamiliar with Pearson’s work, Small Change was a remarkable introduction to his talent of transforming any track, regardless of its genre. Whether it’s the tech-house stompers like Leftfields "Dub Gussett" or the chilled Lounge tempos of Christian Zimmerman’s "Diary of a Lost Girl", Pearson’s remix work covers a wide spectrum of sound.
Pearson also gives his treatment to the Aaron Carl classic "Crucified" and takes "Love Beat" by Yoshinori Sunahara into airy summertime territory with hip-hop breaks and pop infused melodies. Small Changes was also refreshing in that Pearson decided not to stick with strictly instrumental tracks and has remixed a good amount of vocal ones as well. "Say Goodbye to Christopher:" by Jeb Loy Nichols is a soul flavored Disco version fully loaded with 70’s strings and wah guitar, while Nova Nova’s "Bewildered" is a down-tempo gem with moody vocals similar to that of Lamb. Small Changes is a great chance to check out the work of a number of artists and to see what Ewan Pearson makes of it. With more remix work and a new album due next year, Ewan Pearson is name you’ll be hearing a lot more of in the near future.
- "Blue Boogaloo" (Maas Radical Chic Mix) – Count Zero
- "Dub Gussett" (Maas Remix) – Leftfield
- "Bewildered" (Maas Les Parapluies Mix) – Nova Nova
- "Crucified" (Maas Chi-Lite Mix) – Aaron Carl
- "Diary of a Lost Girl" (World of Apples Mojave Rehab Mix)- Christian Zimmerman
- "Darkest Day" (World of Apples Remix) – Nemo
- "Skylines Over Rooftops" (Maas Remix) – Two Banks of Four
- "Blue Planet" (Maas Remix) – Chaser
- "Love Beat" (World of Apples Remix) – Yoshinori Sunahara
- "Say Goodbye To Christopher" (Maas Disco Version) – Jeb Loy Nichols
- "Look At Me Now, Falling" (Zoyd and Prairie Mix) – Maas